12 inch Electric Brake Shoes
$35.00 inc GST
29 in stock
12-inch Electric Brake Shoes
12-inch electric brake shoes include primary and secondary brake shoes for a 10-inch backing plate.
Install a larger shoe towards the back of the trailer and a smaller shoe towards the front of the caravan.
One axle uses two pairs of shoes.
The critical thing to look for when inspecting trailer and caravan shoes is the slot or hole in the top of the shoe.
How do I tell the difference between Alko and Dexter backing plates?
- The Alko park brake has horizontal slots for shoes. The protruding hand brake handle is parallel with the ground.
- Dexter shoes use a spring on the top to hold shoes together, and the hand brake handle is vertical to the ground. (pointing down)
When viewing 10-inch shoes, you will notice they are different. It is possible to install caravan shoes back to front.
When brake shoes are installed in the wrong location, they create heat constantly.
One shoe is shorter than the other.
- The longer shoe is called the primary brake shoe, and it faces the rear of the caravan.
- The short shoe is called a secondary brake shoe and faces the front of the caravan.
So how do electric brakes work?
The magnet, when energised, will attach itself to the inside of the moving brake drum and remain connected during braking.
The attached magnet on the drum forces the brake's shoes during a forward motion causing deacceleration.
Tip: If your electric magnet and shoes need replacing, check the other components as they may also show wear signs. Electric magnets need replacing when the wear holes are no longer visible.
A better solution is to buy an entire backing plate and bolt it onto the weld ring.
Find different variations of brake shoes at these the links:
- 10 inch Electric Brake Shoe
- 10 inch Dexter Aftermarket Brake Shoe
- 12 inch Dexter Aftermarket Brake Shoes
Bendix brake shoes manufacture superior brake shoes with excellent braking performance. However, they are not suited well to caravans and trailers. The Al-ko and Dexter brake shoe range uses a friction material more suited to the caravan industry and provides safe stopping power.
|Dimensions||8 × 15 × 30 cm|