No products in the cart
Replacement Breakaway Kit Incl 5ah Battery, Switch and 12v/5A Battery
The replacement breakaway trailer brake kit is mandatory for all trailers over 2000 kg GTM. Should the tow vehicle and trailer separate accidentally, the breakaway kit engages the electric brakes at full power for a minimum of 15 minutes.
The breakaway system provides a total solution to the Australian Design Rule requirements.
Important Note: Adjust the lanyard to be shorter than the safety chain at full stretch. Test after installation.
Shipping: We cannot send this product via Express Post services due to the battery not being accepted by airlines.
Caravan and Trailer onboard Battery Kit
Note; it is essential to note that there is no requirement for an independent, designated or separate breakaway battery system.
In other words, the caravan or camper onboard 12v battery is the breakaway battery provided it can apply 12vdc to your electric brakes.
Further, the onboard caravan battery will be larger than the minimum requirement and have the same or larger capacity than the smaller unit.
The breakaway switch activates the trailer brake system for 15 minutes in cases where the trailer was detached from the vehicle when travelling.
Additionally, included in the price is a rubber boot that fits over the breakaway switch. The rubber boot reduces or prevents water ingress.
Remote Breakaway Kit Monitor
Remote Breakaway Kit Monitor for trailer breakaway battery. (NSW Only)
The remote monitor fits all Breakaway Kits except RV Electronics.
Mount the Remote Breakaway Kit Monitor in clear view of the driver either in the Cab or mounted to the side of the trailer or caravan in clear view of the driver.
Installing Breakaway Battery Magnetic Monitor.
- Connect the battery indicator cable directly to the breakaway battery, insert the 10 amp fuse inline and close to the battery.
- If the battery indicator flashes RED, only the breakaway battery is low on amp hour.
- If the Battery indicator does not illuminate, recharge or replace the breakaway battery.
- The battery indicator will switch off when the battery is lower than 11 to 9 volts.
- The battery indicator draws low milliamps and will continually pulsate different flashing colours on a battery for 12 months.
- Recharge the battery using a battery charger if the breakaway battery is flat.
Disconnect the trailer plug when testing the breakaway kit. Failure to do so may severely damage the vehicle's Electric brake controller.
NSW RTA Bulletin NO.06
Testing the breakaway battery system refer to RTA Vehicle Inspector Bulletin No 06 April 1998. Requirements for large caravans and trailers equipped with Electrically Operated Brakes.
Furthermore, during a trailer inspection, the towing vehicle must have a compatible charging system connected to the trailer's breakaway battery.
Finally, install a label affixed to all-electric braked trailers stating an acceptable charging/warning circuit in any tow vehicle.
Breakaway kit testing.
- Connect the wires to the terminals. In a fully charged state, a green light will glow.
- Remove the pin and notice a sound coming from your magnets
- You may hear a hum or a tick as the electric magnet sticks to the inside of the drum
- When energised, check the Voltage at the battery
- If the Voltage is under 12 volts, the battery is putting out less than 12v, or you have a voltage loss.
- If voltage loss exists, increase the size of the cable to the brakes to 4mm or 5mm.
Increasing the size of the cable removes voltage loss and restores Voltage to 12vdc.
Breakaway Trailer Brake Kit for Hydrastar
Electric / Hydraulic controllers use a 17 Amp Hour battery because the hydraulic motor uses more power than an electric magnet.
How do I tell when the battery requires replacement?
Your breakaway battery will require replacement when you cannot get a green light on your control panel.
In Australia, the test button must indicate
- Full Battery Power is Available.
- Battery Charging.
- Battery flat
As opposed to America, where there is no requirement for test lights.
If your battery will not take charge, then it needs replacing.
Finally, all trailers over 2000kg require a breakaway system.
|Dimensions||15 × 15 × 15 cm|